Reactions and Symptoms of Bee StingsWhen a bee stings a person, the bee will inject poison through the sting into the victim's skin. The reactions that arise from being stung by bees can vary. Symptoms are felt ranging from mild to the emergence of a more severe allergic reaction. Usually bee stings cause mild symptoms, such as pain at the site of the sting, swelling, and redness. This reaction will generally only last a few hours, then subside on its own. Conditions that are classified as more severe include redness and swelling that is getting bigger at the site of the sting. Although not classified as a severe allergic reaction, this symptom can be quite disturbing. This condition will generally heal in about 5-10 days. Although rare, some people who are stung by bees can experience a severe allergic reaction, namely anaphylactic shock. Victims who experience anaphylactic reactions to bee stings have the potential to experience life-threatening physical symptoms and require emergency treatment from a doctor. Here are some of the symptoms of anaphylactic shock:
- Swelling of the throat and tongue to close the airway
- Difficulty breathing / tightness
- Itching and redness of the skin
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- Lost consciousness
- Weak and fast pulse
Using Medication Stung by BeesMost bee sting victims who experience mild symptoms, can be treated at home. However, before using drugs stung by bees, the way to do it as a first aid kit is to release the sting that sticks to the skin using tweezers or nail tips. The goal is to prevent the entry of more toxins into the skin. Try not to suppress the sting, because the poison in the sting can get into the skin. After that, wash the sting with soap and water that is useful to reduce the absorption of poisons. Continue with a cold compress or ice wrapped in a cloth. This will help reduce pain and swelling. Antiinflammatory drugs may be helpful, along with calamine lotion or hydrocortisone ointment to reduce itching and redness at the site of the bite. You can also take pain medications, such as paracetamol. If itching, swelling and redness do not decrease immediately, you can consult a doctor for consumption of other drugs such as antihistamines, which are able to relieve allergic reactions. In victims of bee stings with more serious symptoms, you should immediately take it to the hospital. Your doctor may give you antihistamines, steroids or epinephrine injections. If the allergic reaction is so severe that it interferes with breathing and is life threatening, the doctor will take emergency measures to open the respiratory pathway by installing a breathing apparatus through the throat, along with administering drugs and intravenous fluids.
Be Careful Using Natural Remedies for Bee StingsMild symptoms experienced by bee stings, often handled alone at home with natural ingredients at home that are easily found. Although not yet supported by medical research, several bee-sting drugs are widely used at home, including:
Honey is believed to have anti-inflammatory properties that can help heal wounds, pain, and itching. However there are no clinical data that prove that applying honey can be a bee sting.
Apple cider vinegar
Although not yet medically proven, vinegar is also widely believed to help neutralize bee venom. Usually done by soaking a bandage or cloth in vinegar first, then sticking it to the location of the stung skin.
Baking soda powder
Smearing a paste made from baking soda and water, although not yet medically proven, is believed to help neutralize bee venom.
Some people claim that toothpaste can also neutralize bee-sting poison by applying a small amount to a stung area. It also has not been proven to help treat bee stings.